Young People and Policing – Story Competition!
The Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) is launching a competition and would like you to write a short story based on your views and experiences of the policing and community safety.
How to enter:
Entries will be split into three age categories:
- Under 10 years old
- 11 - 16 years old
- 17 - 21 years old
Entries should be sent to: [email protected] by 31st July 2020
Entrants can win up to £100 online shopping voucher.
Key things you may want to consider when writing your story
- Keep your story to 1 side of A4 or maximum 500 words.
- Be creative with your format, structure or layout.
- Poetry entries are welcome.
- Entries will not be judged on spelling or punctuation, but on the content.
- We want to hear about your views or observations on policing and community safety in West Yorkshire.
- You can write about yourself, your friends or your family.
- Think about how your experience made you feel.
- What messages would you want to communicate to other young people in West Yorkshire?
You may also be interested in the PCC's Youth Advisory Group which gives young people the opportunity to voice their opinions and views on policing matters and have a more active say on how they are policed in West Yorkshire.
Further information about the Group, including how to join, can be found here: http://www.westyorkshire-pcc.gov.uk/get-involved/youth-advisory-group.
Further information and signposting to services
If you need help or are feeling worried or anxious you can contact the charities below.
- Childline - https://www.childline.org.uk/ - Call 0800 1111
- Young Minds - https://youngminds.org.uk - If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
- Victim Support - https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-and-support/get-help/support-near-you/yorkshire-and-humber/west-yorkshire - Call 0300 303 1971 (out of hours support 0808 168 9111)
Coronavirus help for children
Staying safe online
- Online safety: https://www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre/
- Online safety Home Activity Packs
- thinkuknow: https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
- Who are you really talking to: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/advice/child-protection/who-are-you-really-talking/who-are-you-really-talking
Child Sexual Exploitation
- Child Sexual Exploitation: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/advice/child-protection/child-sexual-exploitation/child-sexual-exploitation
- Are you Worried About a Friend? Child Sexual Exploitation Campaign: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ItsYourCall
Other useful links
- Missing People young person web page https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/how-we-can-help/young-people.html
- National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) - https://www.nspcc.org.uk/
- Running Away: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/runningaway
- During the coronavirus outbreak, services on offer to young people are still there but they are likely to be different to normal. Use MindMate to help you find the support you need in Leeds https://www.mindmate.org.uk/im-a-young-person/whats-in-leeds-for-me/